Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Here's my progress so far:

Laundry
Book London Eye ticket
Sort through random crap accumulated during stay and throw away/save/give to charity shop
Mail last things that need to be mailed
Return library books

Clean house, especially kitchen
Arrange for taxi to airport

Other than one library book I forgot, that's pretty good, I think.

Today I did most of the aforementioned errands, and went to the Museum of London. I highly, highly recommend this for anyone visiting London... it has a lot of interactive displays which are always fun, and it's a great look at London life from prehistory onward. It also has a couple of sections of the ancient city wall preserved nearby, which I took a photo of and which should be up shortly if my internet connection behaves.

I also went to St. Paul's, getting there too late to take the tour, so I just wandered around for a few minutes before the service started. It's a beautiful, grand church, very different from the medieval cathedrals I've seen so far. It reminded me most of San Marco in Venice (although it's decorated quite differently), mainly because of the neoclassical architecture and Italianate dome so unusual for a British church at the time. I plan on going back at some point when I can spend more time there, because it's worth far more than the few minutes I had for it. I did get some great shots of the outside, though.

Tomorrow's my last day in London (how the hell did that happen??), and the plan is to get up earlyish, see the Tower first, and then head over to the London Eye for a flight and an afternoon tea with champagne. (It's my birthday in a month, as most of you know, and I usually get myself a slightly extravagant Christmas/birthday present. This is it, this year.) The evening will be spent cleaning and packing, although if there's a carol service on at Westminster, I may go to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home