Friday, December 17, 2004

Thanks for all the congratulations... you guys are going to give me a complex! : )

Most of the pics from yesterday are up, all except the Bath ones (which for some reason don't want to upload). I'll keep trying on those, and hopefully have them up within a couple of days.

Today I'd planned to go to both Tates and Vinopolis, but my bank account protested at the thought of Vinopolis and I wasn't really in the mood to see classical art, so I had a mostly lazy day and went to the Tate Modern. I am really glad now that I didn't follow my original plan of getting wasted at Vinopolis before the Tate Modern (as fun as modern art is when you're in an altered state), because I got lost coming out of the tube station in a very skeevy area. Fortunately, my good sense of direction prevailed and I eventually found the place, but that is not a part of town I'd have wanted to be lost and drunk in. Lost for ten minutes was bad enough!

The Tate Modern is now right up there with the V&A on my list of favourite museums ever. Most art museums organize their collection chronologically and/or by media, but the Tate Modern organizes by theme, which I think is a much cooler way to do it. You go into the Nude/Action/Body series of galleries, and media and periods are all mixed together in a way that produces much more integration than most museums. Plus, their collection in and of itself is just stunning. I had a most enjoyable couple of hours wandering and admiring, and occasionally laughing at places where the pretension could be cut with a knife. That's the downside to modern art.

This weekend, I'm going to Guildford to stay with Laura, and we're going to Hampton Court at some point over the weekend, so there will be more pictures! Hopefully these will be a bit more amenable to uploading than the Bath ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home