Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I'm heading to Boots to get those pictures from last week developed, so they should be up very soon. No V&A today as it turns out... everyone in my house is sick with a rotten cold, and I woke up with it this morning, so I decided to sleep in. (The art class was going to the V&A today, so I was going to tag along, but that would have required getting up at 9. It would have been worth it if I didn't feel like crap.)

I remember the other observation about London that I was going to make yesterday. London has often been described as a collection of villages, and I have to say that from my limited experience, I feel like that's very true. Different parts of the city have a very different feel to them, and the old tradition of shopping districts is still very much in evidence. When I went to a shop on Tottenham Court Road to buy my new camera, I came out of the Tube station intending to head straight there. Instead, I found myself stopping into a camera/electronics shop every couple of doors to compare prices... apparently TCR's the modern centre of electronics shopping. In the same way, Portobello Road Market and Camden Market are very different. Portobello's the centre for antiques and overpriced souvenirs, whereas if you want hippie clothes, goth clothes, body piercings, or illegal drug paraphernalia, you go to Camden. (In my humble opinion, Camden beats the hell out of Portobello, although I must admit I didn't see any panties with David Beckham's face on them at Camden.) Those of you who've visited London or will be visiting, I'd be interested to hear whether you agree (about the villages, that is, not the markets).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home