Saturday, September 25, 2004

First things first. I got a new camera! It's very nice, if a bit more complicated than my last one, so there will be uploads very soon, possibly tomorrow. I went to Buckingham Palace with the girls today, and unfortunately you're not allowed to take pictures inside, but I got some decent shots of the outside and the gardens. I also want to take a couple of pics of our neighbourhood and my housemates so you all can see where I'm living and who I'm living with. It's just so nice to be photo-enabled again!

Still no progress on the personal statement front, and that's starting to bug me (well, in the interests of accuracy, it's been bugging me for a while, but it's really bugging me now). The non-personal parts of the law school applications are easy-peasy, and mostly done, but again, how do you encapsulate yourself, your career ambitions, and your philosophy of life in two pages without either sounding completely boring or too weird for law school? I have to strike the perfect balance of quirkiness ("This girl will definitely enrich our student body!") and stability ("This girl won't drop out before Thanksgiving with a nervous breakdown!"). In short, aaargh.

Buckingham Palace, as you all might guess, is really lovely, although if I woke up as the Queen tomorrow I'd preserve the most historic bits and redecorate the hell out of the rest. Regal opulence is just not my style, to say the least. However, it was very cool to do something most people don't get to do (since the palace is only open to the public eight weeks out of the year, and tomorrow's the last day for this year), and I've always loved the idea of living in a home where you have tangible evidence of your forebears (skeletons in the closet not included). The Queen's a lucky lady.

I think it's going to continue to be a quiet weekend. I have some travel plans to make, some homework to do, and those law school applications to work on. Then, of course, next weekend is the Dublin trip! I'm looking forward to a pint of real Guinness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home