Monday, September 13, 2004

This has been an eventful couple of days!

First of all, I woke up in one of those inexplicable rotten moods yesterday. I made my way grumpily to the internet cafe to check my e-mail, where I found an e-mail from my mother giving the excellent news that Sasha had come home! Apparently, my mom just happened to be looking out the front door when she saw Sasha walking across the front porch. She opened the door, called to Sasha, and Sasha walked right into the house. Little bugger. If cats could talk, I'd be interrogating that one to find out what the hell she's been doing for the last week. Still, everyone's glad to have her home.

The e-mail from my mom said that she'd given me all the details about Sasha's return in a voicemail, so when I went home and checked my voicemails, I not only heard all about Sasha, but I also had a voicemail from Ian. His wonderful dad gave him enough money to come and visit me in London, so we just have to figure out when he can come over now. Talk about a surprise!

My mood much improved, I hung out at home until the housemates returned from shopping, at which point we headed out for what I thought was a Pet Shop Boys concert. It turned out to be a lot more than that; it was this. In a nutshell, for those too lazy or unable to follow my link, the Pet Shop Boys wrote and performed the score to a 1925 silent film, Battleship Potemkin. The juxtaposition of the vintage film with a modern techno-esque soundtrack was oddly fitting, and since the movie (which I highly recommend, by the way) is about a mutiny and battle at sea, it was appropriate to be watching it in Trafalgar Square. The only real problem was that it was a little difficult for us short people to read the subtitles, but our taller friends kindly whispered them to us.

I love that this is a city where on the spur of the moment, I can see history being made (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this might have been the first British public screening of Potemkin), and/or the premiere of a major artistic event. I know a few people at home who are probably drooling with jealousy. Stop that, you're going to make your keyboards all wet.

Today I attended class and then visited the British Museum, which I'm not going to say much about because I can already tell I need to go back. It was amazing and overwhelming, and I figure I only saw about a quarter to a third of the collection. Fortunately, it's really close (15 minutes' walk - see how London is warping my mind already?) to our classroom space, so I can easily go back again.

That's all the news from here, other than that I still haven't taken that river cruise because I still can't find my damn camera. I'm seriously starting to think our landlady stole it, but then why wouldn't anyone else's stuff have gone missing? Bizarre. If I solve the mystery, I'll let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home