Wednesday, November 03, 2004

OK. I told myself I wouldn't do this, but I'm going to make one overtly political post here because this says pretty much what I would say if I were more articulate. This post was written by schroeder at Salon.com's Table Talk forums today, and I think it's a really good expression of the way I feel even though I can't take credit for writing it.

"Of course, it's not over yet, but the thing that really disturbs me is that, so far, it seems like Bush is going to win it fair and square.

I can't tell you how profoundly depressing that is. It's actually worse than him winning through fraud and the Supreme Court trashing the law. Because it means people actually really want the guy to win. The worst terrorist attack in human history happened because this guy was asleep at the switch. He presides over the worst economy since the Depression. Then for an encore, leads us into an unwinnable quagmire, and all his reasons for doing so turn out to be lies. And 3 million more people said, "four more years" than said "enough."

How can this be? How can you have lived through the last four years and want this guy to stay in office? What person could watch the first two debates and say, "yeah, that totally incoherent guy who looks like he's having a stroke has my vote."?

I can't remember feeling as bad as I do tonight. Even on September 11th, I had blessings to count - friends who worked in the towers, or lived in the neighborhood who were unharmed; the fact that there weren't more attacks as many of us feared. And I was proud to see the best of my fellow New Yorkers in the rescue effort.

Where's the silver lining here? An ultra-conservative Supreme Court for another generation, which means goodbye to reproductive rights and God only knows what else. We'll be stuck in Iraq for the long haul, and who knows which other countries we'll invade - either way, tell your 18-25 year old friends and loved ones to get ready for the draft (Puffy wasn't kidding when he said Vote or Die, kids). Meanwhile, Iran and N. Korea and who knows who else will be working unimpeded on their nuclear programs.

The tax burden will be completely shifted off the wealthy and onto working people, and that burden will be made worse by the mounting defecit and out-of-control spending. No one currently under the age of 40 can expect to retire comfortably, because Social Security will be gone when our time comes. And then there's always the looming threat of castastrophic environmental disaster.

So, where do we go from here? Can Bush do so much damage that it can't be undone? And is there anything we can do to stop it, short of civil war? Because if the Republicans ignored the Democrats and unfavorable public opinion after 2000, they're going to shift into high gear starting tomorrow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home